Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bad to the Bone

Good morning.  Not much new to post today about my condition except that, "YES, it is true, a tonsillectomy as an adult is NO fun!" Have actually had significantly more pain since I left the hospital than I did when I was there. Pretty manageable though as long as I take the Percoset on a schedule, and don't try to eat or speak until  it has kicked in. (Still takes me almost one full hour though to swallow a normal meal!) My friends Joy and Jenn both advised just taking the pain meds every 4 hours and not trying to go longer . . . .slept through my dose last night and may I just say, "Ouch!"  So, I am now a believer in 4 hour dosing.  This morning, I am trying to find a web forum for head and neck cancer patients where someone will compare the radiation pain to the post tonsillectomy pain . . .if you run across anything let me know. My Mommy is coming into town today --yeah! and we are getting ready for the last full week of school. Almost seems like a normal Sunday. Thank you SO much for your prayers and for adding my uncle Tom and aunt Chris to your lists as well.  If you said you would pray for me and you haven't yet . . . then save 'em all up for Tuesday and that liver scan . . .if we find nothing there then the chance of cure goes from about 25% to about 95%!  

On a completely different note.  Check out this video that Erik made of my BABY on his new  dirt bike. I can't begin to tell you how great it has been that Erik was home last week and able to keep Charlie distracted. The kid loves him some Daddy. 
 http://gallery.me.com/sparkserik#100232

12 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie, sorry to hear you are having pain. You will feel a lot better when Mom arrives. I could not eat solid food after my operation for several weeks. I ate many variations on soft white foods like cream of wheat, cottage cheese, chicken broth, tapioca, bananas, you get the idea! I also recommend a nutrition drink like Ensure, or even something like an Atkins shake, because it is hard to get everything you need to keep your strength up when it is painful to swallow. Hang in there doll, LOVE YA! OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about all the pain Tammy, that sounds terrible. Praying for Tuesday. Your little boy is not so little on that bike, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about the pain...thank goodness for the drugs!! Will certainly say a prayer for Tuesday and pray for your Uncle's wife as well. I will have my community group at church pray too.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy -- Just heard the news late last week and wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and sending prayers your way every single day. Stay strong, girl!!! That cancer doesn't have a chance. I know you'll kick its ass!!!!!!!!

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok -- just checked out Charlie's video. OMG!!!!!!!!!! He caught on so quickly!!! That is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy - I'm just recently back in town, and have finally gotten caught up on things. I gotta say...you're going into battle with quite an army behind you as well as one hell of a battle plan!

    Incidentally, after just returning from the Caribbean, I have to remind you that once your through with all the crap, you automatically get a fantastic tropical vacation from your spouse...or at least that's why my Mom says is supposed to happen...she just got back from St. John after completing all of her stuff.

    Oh, and the video of Charlie is going to totally freak out Ashley. Charlie & Justin are the same age and Justin would be face first into a tree or something on one of those! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The red-haired boy is a natural! He's got talent!! Stay strong and keep up the positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That video is awesome! I think Charlie has found his sport. That is sure to give you a smile when you need it. I hope it doesn't hurt to smile. Glad your mom is coming in--that always makes things feel better :) Hang in there, you should be feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're taking the pain med advice - seriously, it makes a world of difference, doesn't it! That's why they give it to you! :)
    Many prayers going out, especially today - Gigi says pass that on to you also. Will be so glad to get the GREAT news I know you will get from today!! P.S. I hear Erik is picking up the boys this week to try the bike - I'm trying not to flip, considering Charlie walked in yesterday and the the first think he says is "Miss Jennifer, I wrecked on my bike yesterday!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you more love! OXOX Miss Joyful

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I am on the road and having a late dinner at a bar in Charleston and sit next to a Nestle healthcare division nutrition rep! Jackpot! Have all sorts of information for you on pre and post op drinks, (you should be taking Impact Advanced Recovery) and all about glutamine which is your fuel source. Have it all written down for you with recommendations on standard versus specialized drinks for feeding tube and keeping you fueled up during your rad and chemo. Coincidence? I think not!

    We both know that often the best information comes from the sales reps who sell the product!

    I will drop off my notes to you and explain on Friday if that works for you.

    One day at a time Tammy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. check this out -- you'll find it helpful place to ask questions about radiation -- I found a great friend through this network who was in the same stage of treatment as I -- csn.cancer.org/forum/164

    will bring dinner monday 6/8 at 6:30

    cathy sheafor

    ReplyDelete