Sunday, May 24, 2009

Oh The Irony!

You know, the irony  associated with the fact that I have a cancer that could seriously limit my ability to speak is not lost on me!  At first I just laughed and laughed . . .honestly, it's so funny.  Also, it's  a complicated cancer to explain . . .it takes some talking through.  .  . . .and there are no good plastic surgery perks at the end . . .I mean really now, couldn't I have just gotten breast cancer which everyone knows about and understands?  You know . . . . cut 'em off and get me a nice new set?!  Oh no, cancer of the head.  It doesn't even sound right.  (It should be noted though that it's not cancer of the brain . . .this one generally doesn't spread there and for that I am very grateful.)

But later, when I'm a cancer survivor and people ask about the great scar on my neck . . .it's going to be a lot of trouble to explain that I had "head cancer". Most people actually say "head and neck cancer" and if you want to get technical (and everyone in the cancer world does) the official name is Stage IV metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck with origin in the______. We don't actually know the part in the blank yet.  It's a big name.  

Fact is, once you throw the "C" word out there it doesn't much matter after that.  It's a club. I'm just a pledge now but the community is amazing and everyone has a story. They tell it to you with out even meaning to. I spoke to a guy yesterday, Kevin,  who I've never met before. Don't actually even know where he lives and couldn't tell you his last name though I have it written down somewhere . . . he works with my friend M.A., he went through this last year and when she spoke to him about it , he just said here's my number . . .tell her to call me. We spoke for a couple of hours I think . . . . he has no idea how much he helped me. Then there's my friend Julie, she's in the club already. Her beautiful son Adam is a neuroblastoma survivor. Her brother Tony is an oncologist in Nashville and  himself a lymphoma survivor. He gave us a long distance consult that really opened our eyes to some questions we want answered as we go forward.  Also, Julie brought me a "cancer kit." It rocks!  But it also sucks that there is someone in my circle of friends who is so intimately associated with this experience that she knows what to put in the damn thing ( the thing I most appreciated was the file folder for all the paperwork!--you have no idea how much paper this disease generates!) 

There is also the guilt . . .because I have some other folks I know in this club and I now know that I didn't do nearly enough  or anywhere near what I should have for them. Before it was me, I thought "I won't call because I don't want to intrude on their family time."  Or, why would one more entry on the website matter  . . . when someone you love is dying (or even if you're just considering the possibility that they might) do you really want a card?  Everything I do seems so small so I won't do it all.  Well let me tell you something, I have been glued to the computer for the last 2 days: every email response, every comment on this blog, every promise to include me on a prayer list, MATTERS.  It's the only thing I really need.  Just call, I may not answer and I may not get around to calling you back for awhile (but really, that's nothing new!) but call anyway, leave a message, comment on the blog. Check in with Jason, I think its harder on him than it is on me.  

So, having said all that: Wendy and Gina . . .I am oh so sorry that I didn't do enough.  I didn't really get that it's just the human contact that gets you through, forgive me.   

That's about it for today. It's my last full day BC--before cancer. Not really of course, because it's there already and it's going to be for quite awhile. That's another conversation that I had with Julie and with Jason, part of what sucks about it the most, is that you can never go back. I would like to wake up again the way I woke up on May 4 . . .not knowing, not dreading, not fearing what comes next.  Not gonna happen, but at least after tomorrow we have a plan. Kevin said that he was back at work 10 weeks after his treatment ended (the side effects from the chemo/radiation combo are actually cumulative so the last couple of weeks of treatment and the 2 months after are the  worst.) So I've taken his calendar and made one of my own . . . Surgery and recovery: 4 weeks, chemo/radiation 6 weeks, post radiation recovery 10 weeks . . . .20 weeks in all, give or take a week or two so we will call it 5 months . . .150 days.  I am posting the calendar  and counting them down . . .we should be at "1" sometime around the end of October . . . just in time to use those cool new scars for Halloween!  I will write again when I'm able, look for a post tomorrow evening from Jason about the surgery!   

9 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy, Just got your email and wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and your family. You're a strong person and can survive this with God's healing, wise doctors, and a great husband. Love, Tracey (White) de Blank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,
    You are in our prayers tonight. Your strength, deermination and humor will get you hrough this. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you all. Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy -- I'll set up neighborhood dinners for June/July/August for you/family. Can you tell me what days you would like the neighborhood to bring dinner and if you/family have allergies, aversions, etc. send those too! Cathy Sheafor email me at sheafor@mi-connection.com

    We're thinking about you and we're here if you need us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy,

    Just got the email about what you are going through. First, let me say I am so sorry. It STINKS...period! BUT, there HAS to be some reason, a journey, a lesson from which to gain ground from it all. It's easy for me to say I realize...but much harder when YOU are the one that has to really deal with it all. PLEASE know how many people will have you in their thoughts and prayers,the Darby's being one of them. You are a strong woman and you know there will be MANY people to cheer you on!
    Jo Ann Darby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy, glad to see you communicating on here! I got in touch with Adam today because I knew he would not see your email until Tuesday, so I hope he has a chance to connect with you. I also hope you are not too nervous about surgery! When I had my tonsils out I was fine until the anaestheseologist (sp?) showed up, he was I swear better-looking than George Clooney and Mom and I both swooned! Then all I could think about was "darn, why didn't I shave my legs?" So, here's wishing you a distracting man to knock you out (sorry Jason.) OXOXOX Love you hon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy, Jason and Charlie,
    What can one say or do to smooth this journey?

    I do know that the BIG guy will be with you all the entire time. Reach out to him but remember, his timing is not our timing. But HE will respond and hold your hand.

    So glad you did the Blog for so many reason- especially to help you know you are loved and cared about by many.

    Love you!!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tammy,

    I don't really think I have to write it here for you to know how very much you are in our thoughts, but like you said... it is worth repeating!! We love you and are thinking so many positive thoughts! We are counting down the time until you are out of that O.R. and Jason posts that update for us all to rest easier!

    Hugs to you all!
    Until next time,
    Tia, Kevin, Rene' & Nadia (Zuraf of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You stay strong girl! My friend had cancer surgery a couple of months ago which involved removing a small portion of the tounge and lymphnode. Now clean as a whistle! You will be too! We are all here for you in anyway and my door is always open to send the little man! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Linda, Jake and Natalie Bell

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy to have this blog to watch your progress and communicate! If anyone can beat this thing YOU can with your amazing strength and determination...and God's help, of course! You're in my prayers each day!

    Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete