Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Liar, liar, pants on fire!!

Damn, this disease will do that to you—make a liar out of you I mean. I have already learned that it is best not to say, “I would never do that . . .” at any time during the treatment for cancer because LOTS of things change and pretty soon you are doing every single thing that you said your wouldn’t. (Like getting the tooth out, putting in the feeding tube, radiating the left side as well as the right and . . .heaven only knows what’s next!) All my proverbial lines in the sand have been crossed! I do, of course, have yet another line to draw regarding my radiation oncologist of choice, but we will get to that later. I am embarrassed to tell you that after all the bitching and moaning, pulling the tooth was a breeze! Absolutely no pain to speak of as long as I take the meds as directed! Lori dropped me off and M.A. picked me up, a mere 45 minutes later. (Thanks girls!) Had a big steak dinner last night—just chewed on the other side. No problem!

Regarding my new line in the sand—pitched yet another little fit and got THE radiation oncologist that I had wanted all along, but not without going over, and through, the nurse practitioner bull dog who couldn’t seem to hear my requests! Did mean though that I had to put the appointment off until NEXT Thursday instead of tomorrow. (I will get the “mask” made that day also!) Means too, that I will have to travel into Charlotte for radiation instead of doing it at Lake Norman (many apologies to those of you who have already offered to drive me on some of those days!) but ultimately, I only get one good shot at curing this and I want the guy with the most experience!

That’s about it for today. I will post again before the end of the week. Does indeed look like we will begin treatment on 7/6. Peg tube placement and all the hearing tests etc the week of the 29th,and blissfully . . . next week: some down time with only the Thursday radiation oncology appointment. Charlie and I may head up to Virginia to spend some time with my family during the early part of the week (my Dad broke his leg over the weekend in 3 places and needs some cheering up!)and then Jason and I may try to get away for a few days around all those doctor's appointments the next week while Charlie is at Nana Camp (visiting with Erik’s mom)!

Thanks for checking in on me! Have a blessed day!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the tooth was a breeze. Enjoy your time with your family and Jason. And then on to fighting and fighting - with God at your side. Prayers coming your way. Lia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry sweetie, it is your right to change your mind, no one is judging you! Sending you love, as always. OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love following your blog......and yes, it's absolutely your prerogative to go for the BEST doctors you can find....even if you have to pitch a little (or big) fit! Enjoy the time with family next week (so sorry about your dad!). Can't wait to see the sweet red-haired boy and get my arms around him! Travel safely...you're always in my prayers. Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete